According to the website, “BIS is the National Standard Body of India established under the BIS Act 2016 for the harmonious development of the activities of standardization, marking and quality certification of goods and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.”
The government revised the hallmarking signs for gold jewellery from July 1, 2021. Following the revision, hallmarked gold jewellery will have three symbols (instead of four-five earlier). These are: Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) hallmark, purity/fineness grade and 6-digit alphanumeric code (HUID number).
What is HUID number
The Hallmark Unique Identification (HUID) number is a six-digit Alphanumeric code made up of letters and digits, according to the Department of Consumer Affairs website. At the time of hallmarking, each piece of jewellery will be assigned a HUID number, which will be unique. The jewellery is hand stamped with the unique number at the Assaying & Hallmarking centre.
How to download BIS Care App
Step 1: Search and install the BIS Care app
Step 2: Open BIS Care when it has been downloaded.
Step 3: Enter your name, phone number, and email address
Step 4: Confirm your phone number and email address with an OTP.
How to check the authenticity of gold jewellery using BIS Care app
According to a tweet on the BIS’s official Twitter account, one can check authenticity of hallmarked jewellery by using ‘verify HUID’ feature on the BIS Care App.
After installing the app, buyers should check the “check licencing details” section to ensure the legality of ISI-branded products. If it was for hallmarked jewellery, they should go to the “verify HUID” section.
Benefits and features of BIS app
Here is a look at the features and benefits of using the BIS app, according to its official BIS app details page on google play store;
- You can file your grievances or complaints using the app’s ‘Complaints’ feature on issues such as poor or sub-standard quality of marked products, misuse of our marks, false promises of quality, or a gap in our services.
- BIS app can check the authenticity of ISI, Hallmark, and CRS Registration markings on any item or product.
- Simply select the sort of complaint you wish to register through a simple user registration or OTP-based login, fill out the specifics of the complaint, preferably with evidence, through well-designed and straightforward forms, and submit.
- Enter the licence number/HUID number/Registration number found on the product or item to obtain all relevant information, such as the manufacturer’s name and address, the licence or registration’s validity.
- Get a complaint number and an acknowledgement of your complaint sent to your phone number and email address for future reference.
- The authenticity of commodities, licences, registrations, and hallmarks can all be verified.
- If the goods’ licence, registration, or hallmark number are incorrect, the client can file a complaint right away.
- ISI can file complaints about trademark infringement and hallmark infringement.
- You can also file a complaint concerning registration marks, deceptive advertising, and other BIS-related issues.
- The customer will receive information on how to make a complaint right away using the app.