change or switch your health insurance plans a minimum of 45 days prior but not earlier than 90 days of your renewal if you are unsatisfied with your plan or services. But how do you evaluate whether you have chosen the best health insurance plan or not? Well, the one that is suitable for your overall health needs, meets the increasing medical inflation and provides the best coverage, maybe the best one. Since most health plans come with yearly renewals, you always have the choice to switch to a better plan.
Health Insurance Policy can be ported to any General Insurance company or to Health Insurance company and this is possible with the health insurance portability option, a facility provided by the Insurance Regulator of India i.e. Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI), to change one’s health insurance policy from one insurance company to another without losing on continuity benefits you have already accumulated. This change from the current insurer to a different insurer is called “porting” and can be done when one faces poor service, needs an extra cover, or for any other reason.
Health insurance portability allows you to upgrade your plan as per your changing needs and lifestyle requirements. Even an insured can enhance its sum insured to the extent of the base of Sum Insured and accumulated cumulative bonus. Portability was introduced by IRDAI to ensure that insurers don’t take their customers for granted, also strengthening competition, and offering better options to existing policyholders with the best class of services.
You can opt for portability without worrying about losing any continuity benefits accrued, having complete freedom to switch over to a better service provider.
Here’s a checklist to know whether you need to port your health insurance plan
- Poor Policy Service
- Cumbersome Claim Settlement Process
- Hidden Clauses
- Competitive Premiums
- Adequate and better Health Coverages
What is a comprehensive health insurance cover?
A comprehensive health insurance policy is an all-inclusive plan that provides
extensive coverage against medical emergencies with lifetime renewability. It provides you with financial support to cover a wide range of medical expenses, including hospitalisation expenses, daycare treatment, road ambulance charges, etc.
Some benefits of comprehensive health insurance
- Adequate sum insured
- Family floater or Individual coverage
- Impatient and Daycare treatment
- Maximum no days covered under Pre and Post hospitalisation expenses
- Lowest PED waiting period
- Add-on covers like covering consumables, hospital cash, reinstatement of Sum Insured, etc.
- On the top of it, a Cashless claims facility should be available to an Insurance company
What does a comprehensive health insurance plan cover?
Unlike basic health insurance plans, a comprehensive policy covers from hospitalisation to pre and post inpatient treatments, including consultations, medical tests as well as hospital stays (maybe from Ayurvedic or homoeopathic) along with modern treatment. Some insurance companies offer comprehensive health insurance that even provides limited cover for physiotherapy, homoeopathy, acupuncture, and osteopathy. Few plans also cover the expenses of oral surgery, the use of a private ambulance and home nursing.
Benefits offered by RGI Comprehensive Health Insurance:
- Pre and Post Hospitalisation: Helps you cover the expenses incurred in OPD and diagnostic tests for a specified number of days before and after hospitalisation for the illness mentioned in the policy post-discharge of your hospitalisation
- Day Care Procedures: Medical expenses incurred for daycare procedures taken at a hospital or daycare centre. 24 hours mandatory hospitalisation is not necessary for the daycare procedure.
- Ambulance Cover: Actual expenses incurred for utilising road ambulance service for transporting the insured to the nearest hospital with adequate emergency facilities are covered up to ₹2000 per hospitalisation.
- Check-ups: This will help you take care of check-ups, consultation costs, and pre and post-hospitalization charges and the policyholder can focus on recovery peacefully.
- Expenses for Organ Donation: Will help you cover the expenses incurred by the donor in case of a major organ transplant (available only under Gold and Silver Plans)
- Critical Illnesses waiver of premium: In case the insured is diagnosed with a specified critical illness (as per policy) RGI waives the one-year renewal premium for the policyholder.
- Cashless treatment: Lets you avail the required medical treatment without actually paying for the same at the hospital. In the case of cashless hospitalisation, the insurance company bears the cost of medical treatments and directly pays the bill to the hospital.
- Tax Deduction: Under Section 80D, you can claim a tax deduction of up to Rs 25,000 per financial year on medical insurance premiums.
When it comes to health, it is not just your health that you must take care of but your family and financials too. Considering plan features and renewal benefits while buying or switching your health insurance plans at all stages of your life can be helpful. Avail the facility of health insurance portability to choose the right comprehensive health insurance policy among various plans available in the market you can sail with.